Energy Efficient Patio Door – Shopping Checklist
Shopping for energy-efficient patio doors can be a daunting task, but with the right preparation and understanding, you can make an informed decision that will improve the comfort, energy efficiency, and overall look of your home. Here is a comprehensive checklist to use when shopping for energy-efficient patio doors:
- Determine Your Needs: Before you start shopping, it’s important to assess your needs and preferences. Consider factors such as the location and size of the patio door, the amount of natural light you want to let in, and the level of security you require.
- Energy Efficiency: Energy efficiency should be a top priority when shopping for patio doors. Look for doors that are ENERGY STAR certified, which indicates that they meet strict energy efficiency guidelines. Also, consider the U-value and Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC) of the doors, as these values indicate how well they prevent heat transfer and reduce solar heat gain.
- Material: The material of the patio door will affect its energy efficiency, durability, and appearance. Common materials include vinyl, fiberglass, aluminum, and wood. Each material has its own pros and cons, so be sure to research the best option for your needs.
- Glass: The type of glass used in patio doors also affects their energy efficiency. Look for doors with low-E glass, which reflects radiant heat and reduces the amount of UV rays that enter your home. Double or triple-paned glass can also improve energy efficiency and reduce outside noise.
- Insulation: The insulation in the door frame and sash can have a significant impact on energy efficiency. Look for doors with foam-filled frames as they provide better insulation compared to traditional non-filled fiberglass or polystyrene. Additionally, consider the type of weatherstripping used to seal the door, as this will impact the door’s ability to prevent air infiltration.
- Style: Patio doors come in a variety of styles, including sliding, French, and bi-fold. Choose a style that complements the design of your home and fits your specific needs, such as ease of use and accessibility.
- Security: Security is an important factor to consider when shopping for patio doors. Look for doors with strong frames, multi-point locking systems, and tempered glass for added security. Consider installing a security system, such as a deadbolt or alarm, for extra protection.
- Hardware: The hardware of the patio door, such as the handles and hinges, can impact its overall look and functionality. Choose hardware that is durable, easy to use, and complements the style of your home.
- Warranty: Make sure to ask about the warranty offered by the manufacturer of the patio doors you are considering. Look for a warranty that covers both the materials and the installation of the doors, and ask about the length and terms of the warranty.
Easy Windows offers a LIFETIME WARRANTY on all our products and Installation.
- Professional Installation: Hiring a professional to install your patio doors is highly recommended to ensure proper installation and to avoid any potential problems. Ask for references and check the reputation of the installer before hiring them.
By using this checklist, you can ensure that you make an informed decision when shopping for energy-efficient patio doors. Don’t hesitate to ask questions and do your research to find the best patio door for your home. With the right patio door, you can enjoy increased comfort, energy efficiency, and a beautiful new addition to your home.